MRA Mobilising for Rights Associates (a nonprofit international NGO based in Rabat, Morocco www.mrawomen.ma ) welcomes applications from potential interns with excellent online research and outreach skills and a strong commitment to advancing women’s rights and gender justice in the legal system.
Internships are unpaid and can be done remotely. The scope and duration of the internship is flexible.
These trilingual (Arabic, French and Arabic) databases are intended to serve as interactive, dynamic, and practical tools for local NGOs, lawyers, judges, policy makers, researchers, activists, journalists and others to access and analyze a diversity of local court decisions on women’s rights issues. They provide concrete examples and models of good practices in judicial decisions to be shared and used by lawyers, judges and advocates across the two countries.
In the first quarter 2023, MRA will host a series of online events to present the Observatories to law schools, bar associations and law firms across the Maghreb (in Arabic), France (in French) and the United States (in English).
The legal event interns will identify and conduct outreach to appropriate persons and institutions in the United States (and potentially other anglophone countries) to develop a contact list of potential participants to invite to the English language online event.
Tasks (may be divided up among several interns – scope to be determined upon availability and interest):
- Research and draw up a list of law schools in the United States (and potentially other anglophone speaking countries) with programs (thematic degrees, research centers, courses, clinics, etc.) with a strong interest in women’s legal and human rights and/or the North Africa region (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia);
- Research and draw up a list of law firms in the United States (and potentially other anglophone speaking countries) demonstrating a strong interest in women’s legal and human rights and/or presence in the North Africa region (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia);
- Research and draw up a list of professional legal associations in the United States (and potentially the U.K.) with programs (lawyers’ associations, bar associations, judges associations, etc.) with a strong interest in women’s legal and human rights and/or the North Africa region (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia);
- Conduct outreach to the above institutions to provide an initial presentation of the Observatory and identify and obtain the names and contact information of key persons to invite to the online event.
- Currently studying or recently graduated (undergraduate level is fine), preferably in a field related to pre-law, gender / women’s studies, justice, or related topics;
- Ability to conduct thorough online research and prepare a detailed written summary of results;
- English language fluency;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills for written emails and outreach;
- Strong interest in and commitment to women’s rights issues.
Please send a recent CV and a cover letter describing your interest in the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legal Event Outreach Interns (US)” in the title.